Getting Help

getting help web

There’s lots of reasons people get into housing difficulties.

Facing homelessness is stressful and you’ll need to know the options available to you. In many cases, by taking the right action straight away, your homelessness can be avoided.


  • If you live in private rented accommodation and are having trouble paying your rent, you should contact your landlord (or letting agent) immediately, before the situation gets any worse. Even if you have been asked to leave, there may be things that you can do, or help that we can give you, to help resolve the situation or to make a planned move without becoming homeless.

    You can use our self assessment tool to get advice on how to resolve rent arrears and other issues with private sector landlords, as well as information on other housing solutions that may be right for you.

    It is important that you are clear about your rights as a private sector tenant, particularly if your landlord has already served you with a notice. The toolkit can help you with this. You can also find information on our website on the Private Landlords page.

  • If you own your own home and you are having difficulties paying your mortgage, you must contact your lender and discuss your situation as soon as possible. If you can’t pay the full monthly amount for your mortgage, then you should pay what you can.

    Remember, your mortgage is a priority debt; it should be paid before any other debts or expenses. You should check that you are claiming any benefits you are entitled to, including income support to help towards paying your mortgage.

    If you are thinking of selling or leaving your home, speak to your lender. You should also speak to Tameside Housing Advice before you do this, as it may affect any decision we make if you need to apply as homeless.

    You can use the self assessment toolkit for more help and advice on what you can do if you are worried your home may be repossessed. 

  • Many people who are facing homelessness manage to find their own new home in the private sector.

    The advantage of renting privately is that you can find accommodation in the area of your choice, near to schools and family support. It is also much quicker to find a private rented home than to wait for a social rented home.

    By completing the self assessment tool you can find out if private renting is a suitable option for you and get practical advice and assistance to help you find a home in the private rented sector.

    The information given can also help you to decide if private rented accommodation is affordable for you and gives you advice on how to find accommodation, rent levels in Tameside and housing benefit. It also provides information on issues like tenancy deposit protection, tell you whether or not you are eligible for help with a deposit and offer advice on your rights as a tenant. The self assessment can give advice if you are living in a private rented property and need support to help you keep your tenancy.

  • Tameside Council does not own its own housing; however we work closely with a number of Registered Social landlords (Housing Associations) who manage the social rented housing in Tameside.  Some of the Housing Associations Tameside council work with are:

    New Charter Group

    Ashton Pioneer Homes

    Great Places Housing Group

    The Guinness Partnership

    Onward Housing Group

    The Regenda Group

    Your Housing Group

    Anyone can apply for social housing, but certain people may not be eligible to register to join the waiting list for housing.

    View the Tameside Allocation Policy to see if you are eligible here 

    To view a guide in accessible housing in Tameside click here

    To apply for to for social housing in Tameside click here    

    You can use the self-assessment tool to find out more about social housing and the Registered Social landlords providing housing in Tameside. The self-assessment will give information and advice on whether this is the best option for you, what size of property you may be eligible for and waiting times for social housing.

  • There are a range of supported housing schemes available for elderly and vulnerable people across the borough.

    Supported Housing is not available to everyone. You can use the self assessment tool to find out if this is a suitable option for you and get more information about what schemes are available in Tameside.

  • We provide a range of services to help people to live in their own home, these services are known as ‘floating support’ services. Floating support services can offer you support wherever you live. Many of these services are free and offer support to help you stay in your own home, based on your individual needs.  

    Tameside Council have commissioned Adullam to provide this service click here for more information on the service available.

    Alternatively, the self-assessment tool can help you decide if this is a suitable option for you and gives more information about the floating support services in your area.

  • It may be that you are facing homelessness due to domestic abuse or hate crime. There are many forms of domestic abuse, including emotional, physical, mental and sexual. Or you may be experiencing harassment, violence or the threat of violence from someone who lives outside of your household.

    We will treat all reports of domestic abuse and hate crime in a sensitive and confidential manner. We can offer support in terms of advising you of your tenancy rights, discussing security measures and possibly offering emergency short term accommodation and more permanent housing solutions.

    New Charter Homes run a service for domestic abuse victims in Tameside, called Bridges. Bridges will offer integrated community services and refuge provision for victims of domestic abuse and substance misuse in Tameside.

    We also have out Sanctuary scheme, which is a project operating in Tameside for people who are experiencing or have experienced domestic abuse and as a result have become or are likely to become homeless. 

    We help people to stay in their homes by providing extra security which can include locks on windows and doors, gates, CCTV and alarms.

    Take a look at our Sanctuary scheme leaflet here 

    If you need to speak to someone in confidence for help or advice, please telephone 0161 331 2552.

    Please don’t suffer in silence, recognise the situation and get help and support for someone.


  • The process of leaving care and transitioning to adult life can be challenging and confusing – Click here and read what’s support is available for care leavers in Tameside.

  • There’s lots of companies (both local and national) that are able to help you think about your housing options.

    For example:

    Citizens Advice Bureau 0345 404 0506

    Shelter 0808 800 4444

    Tameside Council 0161 342 8355

    National Domestic Violence Helpline 0808 2000 247

    If you are not sure what type of help or advice you need, you can complete our self assessment tool to get more information about the housing options that may be available to you.

  • Help with finding accommodation

    If you need help right now you can attend Tameside Housing Advice  between 9am -3pm (Monday-Thursday) 10am – 3pm Friday.

    Tameside Housing Advice Centre
    119-125 Old Street
    OL6 7RL

    Telephone : 0161 331 2700 (including out of hours.)

    What is A Bed Every Night?

    A Bed Every Night is a commitment to provide a bed, welcome, hot meal and support for anyone sleeping rough in Greater Manchester. The extra provision will operate from 1st November 2018 until 31st March 2019 and will be available throughout this period, regardless of the temperature.

    The programme will make every effort to address the needs of those rough sleeping, offering additional temporary accommodation with lower criteria than current provision; removing them from the risk of extreme weather, improving health and wellbeing.

    A Bed Every Night is not a sticking plaster but the first stage of a new systematic approach across Greater Manchester to end homelessness. Ideally, we want to move people through emergency shelter into the right accommodation and support option for them, to enable them to stay off the streets.

    The staff in the provision will work pro-actively with individuals, referring agencies, accommodation providers and other services to try to find suitable move-on options or reconnection.

    How do people get inside?

    There will be two main routes into the winter provision – street outreach teams will go out to people rough sleeping and support them to get into the provision, and people can also go through their housing advice teams, local support services and out of hours numbers.
    Please see below the contact information for Bed Every Night Tameside :

    Outreach and support service

    If you are sleeping rough or would like to report an issue of rough sleeping in your area you can contact the Impact Service by calling 0161 330 1557.

    The Impact Service is based at the Greystones Project at 215 Mossley Rd, Ashton.

    The Impact Service deliver an outreach service for reported cases of rough sleeping and a day service for Tameside residents who are currently, or at risk of becoming homeless. People can be provided with food, laundry facilities, showers , a clothing store, help with claiming benefits and accessing other key services.

    The Impact service is open Mon – Fri 12pm – 3.00pm.

    Impact also has four residential beds which are open to referrals from other agencies.

    Alternatively If you are concerned about someone you have seen sleeping rough, you can call the national 24/7 StreetLink service on 0300 500 0914 or contact them via their website The StreetLink team will ensure the person sleeping rough is connected up with the services available in their local area to help them away from the streets as quickly as possible.

    Winter provision

    When it is severely cold we ensure that a Cold Weather Policy is in place and that people who are rough sleeping can access accommodation to get them off the streets. The Cold Weather policy is in operation between 1st December to the 31st March and is fully implemented when the temperature is due to be below zero for 3 consecutive days.

    Ring Tameside Housing Advice  on  0161 331 2700

    Other sources of support

    My Recovery Tameside (CGL) – are Tameside’s Drug & Alcohol support agency run a drop-in service every Monday at 111-113 Old St, Ashton under Lyne, OL6 7RL (near Tameside Housing Advice & Job  Centre+) (excluding bank holidays) between 10-12pm providing hot drinks, toast and food parcels when available. My Recovery can also provide advice and guidance regarding drugs & alcohol, benefits, housing and substance misuse.

    Drug & Alcohol Support Service

    • 111-113 Old St, Ashton under Lyne, OL6 7RL
    • 15 Thornley Street, Hyde, SK14 1JY (above Thornley Medical practice – please use designated side entrance)

    0161 672 9420 – Please ring for more Information, Appointments & Service Opening Times

    Places to go for food and help

    • Carpenters Arms, Ashton – Tuesday: Tea/Breakfast/Lunch
    • St Albans Centre, Vicarage Rd, Dukinfield – Saturday (Fortnightly): Food Parcels/Tea & Toast
    • Church of Nazarene, Stamford St – Sundays: Toast & Tea
  • If you’ve been a member of the armed forces, there are a range of organisations that can offer help and support, including housing. You can find details of these on Tameside Council Armed Forces page

    If you need any more help, you can fill in our online form, or if it’s urgent then you can give us a call 0161 331 2700

  • If you’re aged between 16 and 18 and you’re homeless or threatened with homelessness, a joint assessment will be completed with Tameside Advice and Children’s Social Care. This assessment will include discussing your circumstances and any support needs. This will help us to prevent you becoming homeless and assist you to return home where this is suitable.

  • If you’re in prison or youth detention and will have no home on release, we can assess your needs and we will work with you and any professionals helping you to find a home.

    We can offer advice on a range of issues. It’s important for you to get in touch as soon as possible to give time for an assessment so that housing options can be explored and accommodation found. If you need any more help you can fill in our online form or call us 0161 331 2700

    For further information on what is available in Tameside visit

  • If you’re in prison or youth detention and will have no home on release, we can assess your needs and we will work with you and any professionals helping you to find a home.

    We can offer advice on a range of issues. It’s important for you to get in touch as soon as possible to give time for an assessment so that housing options can be explored and accommodation found. If you need any more help you can fill in our online form or call us 0161 331 2700

    For further information on what is available in Tameside visit

  • To view more information about our Hospital Discharge Project, please download the leaflet using the link below:

    THA – Hospital Discharge Project July 2020

Other Useful Agencies

Remember, if you are experiencing housing difficulty, it’s important to get advice as soon as possible.
If you think you are homeless or about to become homeless, contact us on 0161 331 2700.